Friday, August 10, 2012

50 Books to read before graduation

This past January I decided that I wanted to read fifty books this year. I sat down and made a list of books that met certain requirements I thought would work for me. They all had to be books I'd never read before; they couldn't be part of a series, have a prequel or sequel, or run any chance of me saying "I have to read book X so I can find out what happens next;" I really didn't want to repeat authors (although there were a couple cases where I did anyway); and they had to be of a wide variety, no sticking to one or two genres for me. It took me a few days, but I got one made up that met (most of) my criteria. I have an extensive to be read list running in my head that I plucked titles from, there were a few books mentioned on NPR that sounded too good to pass up, and there were some that were mentioned again and again in various writing books I'd been reading that I stuck in there as well.

Sadly, days after making the list (and before I could type it up), I misplaced it. I went from memory as much as I could, but I have never been known for my memory. Then the other day when I was cleaning out my desk, low and behold, I found the list! I'd managed to read eleven of the books on there (and a bunch others, though I'm no where near fifty), but that still leaves 39 books that I still haven't read.

While I'd like to say that I'll get most of them read before December 31, since I'm starting school in a few days, I highly doubt it. So I'm instead renaming my list. The previously named 50 Books of 2012 (or Epic List of Doom, depending on my mood), is now just 50 Books to Read Before Graduation (which should be the spring of 2015). The list is as follows, in no particular order:

So there's the original list, with the books I read crossed off. But here's the thing: because of those eleven books being crossed off, it's no longer a list of fifty books to be read by graduation, it's 39 books. Well, there's one way to fix that.

The eleven books I'll read in addition to the ones above to make fifty books by graduation:

Venus in Furs

Edit 5/28/14:
I've gone in and crossed off a few more books. Not looking like I'm going to make it by graduation, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment