Friday, November 6, 2009

7076

As I've been telling everyone, I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. For those of you who don't know, that stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is, starting November 1 and ending midnight November 30, all participants are to write a 50k word novel. That's right, an orignal work of fiction. Now, I've written that much fic, but usually I crap out with original stuff. my head is full of ideas that other people tell me are really interesting, but I just never get them down on paper. Seeing as I respond fairly well to pressure (at least as far as my writing and apparently weight loss are concerned), I hope this is the swift kick in the ass that I need. Hopefully.

To keep myself writing, and to keep my number count rising, I've set a goal for myself: I want to write at least 2500 words a day. If I stick to that, I'll have my 50k in 20 days. Today I was supposed to have 7500, and you can see how that turned out by the title of this little post. I'm hoping I can make that up tomorrow, as it isn't much.

Now, I'll be honest, probably at least 75% of what I'm writing is crap, and I'm being generous for the sake of my ego. But I'm hoping that it's crap that can be refined into something worth selling. Because, above all things, I'd love to be a published writer. I have a few poems published out there somewhere, but I don't count that. I want a novel out there with my name (or my pen name) on the cover. I have lofty dreams, I know. But if my stupid Lit 101 prof can get published, I sure as hell can.

So, now that I've wasted time that could have been spent on my novel (and bored everyone to tears in the process), I'm dragging my ass to bed tomorrow. I have 1924 words to write, a house to clean, and work to get to. Anyone have a maid and a few thousand bucks they want to give me till this thing is done?

No comments:

Post a Comment